ChatGPT - How Long Till They Realize I’m a Robot?

Image
I tried it first on December 2nd... ...and slowly the meaning of it started to sink in. It's January 1st and as the new year begins, my future has never felt so hazy. It helps me write code. At my new company I'm writing golang, which is new for me, and one day on a whim I think "hmmm maybe ChatGPT will give me some ideas about the library I need to use." Lo-and-behold it knew the library. It wrote example code. It explained each section in just enough detail. I'm excited....It assists my users. I got a question about Dockerfiles in my teams oncall channel. "Hmmm I don't know the answer to this either"....ChatGPT did. It knew the commands to run. It knew details of how it worked. It explained it better and faster than I could have. Now I'm nervous....It writes my code for me. Now I'm hearing how great Github Copilot is - and it's built by OpenAI too...ok I guess I should give it a shot. I install it, and within minutes it'

Deploy an ASP.NET MVC 2 Web site on IIS 6.0

Hey sports fans!

Today I was given the task of deploying my web site to my development machine. With MVC 2 plugged-in to Visual Studio 2008, it should have been a cinch (with VS2010 and IIS7, it IS), but I ran into some roadblocks I thought I'd blog about.

So all I thought I would have to do is right click the ASP.NET project in the solution explorer while the solution was open in Visual Studio, and click publish, and then specify the directory to publish it to. Visual Studio was supposed to do the rest. But ACTUALLY it was much tougher. First I had to open the properties of the ASP.NET project, and go to the "Web" tab, and set it to run on an IIS server instead of a development server. THEN I took the step of right clicking the project and (publish...)ing it. But everytime I tried to navigate to http://localhost/ it would give me a weird error saying the directory was inaccessible.

The problem was that IIS had no mapping for paths without extensions. you see "localhost" maps to "localhost/home/index", but what IIS was expecting was something that ends in ".aspx" - so IF "localhost" mapped to "localhost/home/index.aspx", then the page would display and everything would be peachy. But it didn't. So here's how you map something with NO file extension (i.e. a "wildcard" mapping). (I learned it from here: haacked

1.) Open up IIS from the start menu.

2.) Expand the tree so that your website's name is displayed (underneath "Default Web Site").

3.) Right click your website, and go to the properties.

4.) Click Configuration...

5.) Click Insert under "Wildcard application maps"

6.) Enter the location of your aspnet_isapi.dll file (find it by going back and Editing the .aspx file extension in the previous window)


7.) Fill in the other fields the same as in the above pic, and click ok

8.) Keep clicking ok until you're back at IIS. Now try the webpage and it should work!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ChatGPT - How Long Till They Realize I’m a Robot?

Architectural Characteristics - Transcending Requirements

The Terms that Blind Us